By Dominic Adoboli, GNA
Aflao, June 11, GNA - The Togolese International Police (Interpol), is assisting the Aflao Police to carry out investigations right in Lome, in the case of Kekeli School at Aflao for registering 62 Togolese students to write this year's BECE.
Mr. Eric Vondee, Aflao District Police Crime Officer, confirmed this to the Ghana News Agency at Aflao on Tuesday.
He said the Togolese Interpol, which has a cordial and growing working relationship with their Ghanaian counterparts in combating cross-border crime over the years, has accepted to assist the Aflao police to investigate the matter.
Mr. Vondee however declined to give details of their investigations so far, only to say that they have visited the Faith Mission School, the school of the 62 students in Togo.
Emmanuel Mawuli, Proprietor of Kekeli School, a private Basic school at Aflao 2nd Low Cost and its headteacher, Innocent Agblevor were picked up on Monday, for registering 62 Togolese students to write the 2019 BECE.
The two were escorted to Lome by the police for the investigations there.
"What we have so far is part of the evidence we are still gathering and it is not proper we put them in the public domain now", he said.
He said his team has collected some materials which it cannot disclose until further notice.
Mr. Vondee said the Faith Mission School authorities in Lome denied their school being an annex to Kekeli school as being claimed by Mawuli and Agblevor.
He said they told the team that Kekeli only assists their mainly English speaking students from Nigeria, Gambia, Sierra Leone and Liberia for example to register and write the BECE, after which they then return to their respective countries to continue their education.
"They said enrolling in the Free SHS in Ghana was not their goal", he said.
The arrest of the two, was at the instance of the Ketu South Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), Mr. Elliot Agbenorwu upon an intelligence report.
Mr. Vondee disclosed that Mawuli and Agblevor will be granted police inquiry bail by close of work on Tuesday but will continue to assist in the investigations.
The MCE, who described the case as a sabotage of the Free SHS policy, said he has written to the West Africa Examinations Council to cancel the results of the 62 candidates.