Monday 18th August, 2014Printable Version
Accra, Aug 18, GNA - The Abor Ewusi Royal family of Gomoa Fete, in the Central Region has given government a two week ultimatum to intervene in the tension brewing in the town following the murder of Nana Kwame Okyere Pnatu, their stool-head and Mankrado of the town.
They said government’s failure to intervene would force them to take the law into their own hands and defend themselves from the torture, scare and inhumane events they had been living with in the town for the past sixteen years.
“We are appealing to government to intervene within the next two weeks before we also take matters into our own hands”, Dr Lamptey, family head of Abor Ewusi Royal family stated in Accra on Monday.
Addressing a news Conference, Mr Stephen Nana Ackon Mensah, Stool Secretary, Gomoa Fete Kakraba, explained that as a result of the brutal murder of the Abusuapanyin of the royal family by hired assassins, chieftaincy and land disputes had been raging on in the town for the past sixteen years.
He said Nana Kwame Okyere Pnatu, who was shot eight times in front of his house at Fete Kakraba, a town close to the Liberia refugee camp on February 27, this year by unidentified assassins had something to do with the Fete chieftaincy dispute since 1997.
“The deceased who was the pillar and impediment to the illegalities at Fete is now lying at the morgue as a victim of these hired assassins”, he added.
Mr Ackon Mensah, however noted that, the suspects behind the murder of the stool-head are walking freely, despite the fact that the deceased Abusuapanyin had been threatened openly before his killing.
He said eight persons were arrested by the police during their investigations and were put before court for prosecution “But we were shocked to hear that two of the suspects have been released on bail, and this has created serious tension among the people of Gomoa.
“When the two suspects were granted bail, we petitioned the President of Ghana, the Chief Justice and the IGP against the bail, but we did not hear from them and the suspected murderers are still walking freely among us and our lives are in danger, ” Mr Ackon Mensah said.
He stressed that their security was at stake especially when they had been informed that an unknown group was planning to eliminate “Some of us who are making things difficult for them”, he added.
According to the Stool Secretary of Gomoa Fete Kakraba, the Gomoa Fete Chieftaincy dispute dates back to August, 1997 when the Gomao Akyempim Traditional Council distooled the then chief, Nana Abor Awusie XIX on the grounds that he was an ex-convict and visually impaired.