Provide comprehensive report on Dr Obengfo’s health - Court

By Joyce Danso, GNA

Accra June 12, GNA - A District Court in Accra has ordered the Medical Director of the Ridge Hospital to furnish it with a comprehensive health report on Dr Dominic Kwame Obeng-Andoh, the Proprietor of Obenfo Hospital who is receiving treatment at the hospital.

The Court presided over by Ms Efua Sackey directed that the report on Dr Obeng-Andoh aka Dr Obengfo should state progress made on his health since he was admitted at the facility.

The order came after Prosecution led by Detective Chief Inspector Simon Apiorsornu had told the court that Dr Obengfo has refused to attend to court because he claimed he was not well.

Chief Inspector Apiorsornu said Dr Obengfo was hiding under the guise of an ailment and has declined to attend court.

Prosecution said the investigator in the case went to the hospital this morning where the Director of Medical Service and Administrator confirmed that Dr Obengfo was not sick and that he was hiding under the cover of admission.

Chief Inspector Apiorsornu said the accused was hauled to an Accra Circuit Court on a different charge he used the same excuse.

According to prosecution, Dr Obengfo has not been diagnosed with any disease that showed that he could not appear before the court.

“This morning we register our displeasure over the accused person’s conduct. There are specialists at the Police Hospital if he wants any of them, they could attend to him. There are no medical records to ascertain that he is suffering from any ailment.

We pray the court to order the Director of Medical Service to furnish the court with a full comprehensive report on the health status of the accused.”

Prosecution said Police investigations were ongoing adding that the Police the close of day would receive the post mortem report on deceased, Ms Stacy Offei Darko, deputy Chief Executive Officer of National Entrepreneurship Innovative Programme (NEIP).

Mr Jonathan Dzaisu, a defence Counsel who represented the accused on behalf Dr Morris Ankrah said he disagreed with prosecution’s submissions.

According to Mr Dzaisu he visited Dr Obengfo on last Tuesday and he was made to sit outside for two hours because a team of medical officers were attending to him.

“I was only given five minutes to talk to him. I impressed on the leader of the Medical team to do their best so that the accused person could appear in court the following day”.

Defence counsel said his client remains innocent until he is proven guilty of the charges levelled against him, adding that Dr Obengfo ought to be given access to medical care as part of his rights under the country’s constitution.

He said his client was ready to cooperate with the Police.

The matter has been adjourned to June 19.  

Dr Obengfo has been remanded into Police custody over the death of Stacy Offei Darko, the Deputy Chief Executive officer of the National Entrepreneurship Innovation Programme (NEIP).

The 49-year-old presently unlicensed medical practitioner is alleged to have performed a surgery on Ms Offei Darko, whose office operates from the Jubilee House, the seat of the Presidency.

Facing a charge of murder, Dr Obeng-Andoh is also on admission at the Police Hospital over a medical condition.

His plea is yet to be taken by the Accra District Court.

With him in the dock was Edward Amponsah, a cleaner at the hospital, who is being held for impersonation.

Amponsah’s plea has beenn preserved and he was remanded into custody by the Court.

The facts as narrated by Prosecution said the complainant, Nana Akosua Animah, was the mother of Ms Offei Darko, aged 37. She resides at Michel Camp, Tema.

On May 20, this year, Stacy went to Dr Obeng-Andoh’s Hospital for a Liposuction and Fat Transfer Surgery, but she died at about 1600 hours, the following day.

On May 22, based on the orders of Dr Obeng-Andoh, Amponsah sent the body to three different mortuary facilities, but the body was rejected with the reason that her relative must be present before she could be accepted in those morgues.

Amponsah, subsequently, sent the body to the Saint Gregory Hospital Mortuary, at Buduburam, where he falsely presented himself to the Morgue attendant as the biological brother of Stacy and thus authorised that the body be embalmed.

The body was then stored in the morgue without the knowledge of Stacy’s actual relatives or the Police.

Her family however got wind of the incident on May 24, and suspecting foul play, they reported the matter to the Police.

When the Police proceeded to the morgue and inspected the body; it found multiple surgery fresh scars on some of her parts.

The body was then transferred to the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital Mortuary for autopsy and the suspects were later picked up by the Police, the Prosecution said.


Source: GNA Story (
Published: 2018-06-12 18:16:32
© Ghana News Agency