Kumasi, Jan 31, GNA – The National Sports Authority (NSA) has clarified that its announced ban on football matches at the Baba Yara Stadium on Saturdays does not apply to those sanctioned by Confederation of African Football (CAF).
Mr. Joshua Mensah, the Ashanti Regional Sports Director, said the other exemptions were matches involving the national teams, category ‘A’ premier league matches and ceremonial matches of national importance.
He told journalists in Kumasi that this had been communicated to all stakeholders including clubs in the lower divisions, which had been playing their matches on Saturdays at the stadium.
“We have decided to dedicate Saturdays for only social events in order to raise funds to maintain the place”, he added.
The NSA over the past six years had not received any money from the Youth and Sports Ministry to run the facility.
Mr. Mensah complained about the low returns from the division one matches and said at times the NSA received less than GH¢ 100.00, despite the huge cost it had been incurring to prepare the stadium for such matches.
This, he indicated, had led to the situation, where it had been struggling to pay its utility bills and wages of casual workers.
He said he was confident that the step taken by the Authority would result in increased revenue to properly maintain the facility.
The 40, 000 capacity Stadium, rehabilitated in 2008 as one of the venues to host the African Cup of nations (AfCoN), is fast deteriorating, with the tartan trucks, washrooms and seats in ruins.