Mildred Siabi-Mensah, GNA
Effia Nkwanta (W/R), Sept. 9, GNA – The Kokroko Charities Foundation at the weekend donated two incubators to support the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) of the Effia Nkwanta Hospital.
The two incubators formed part of the Project 100 Incubators embarked on by the Foundation to help reduce new born deaths as outlined in the Ghana National Newborn Health Strategy and Action Plan 2014 to 2018.
The donation is also to support the country as she strives to curb pre-term deaths and meet the Sustainable Development Goals-3.
Already the Charity has installed and handed over 13 incubators to nine hospitals across seven regions with Upper East and West yet to benefit from the gesture.
According to a UNICEF report, more than 8000 children born prematurely die before 30 days, which meant that more needed to be done to improve the lives of the newborn.
Mr Kwame Sefa Kayi, the Executive Director of the Foundation, said the Project 100 Incubators, birthed in 2014 and with a lifespan of five years, would increase awareness of neo-natal delivery challenges and available support through antenatal education and services to ensure access to health for all through targeted interventions.
He said the project would also identify health facilities with specialised medical resources and equipment, work with policy and decision makers to focus attention on training of specialist pediatricians and neontologists as well as partner organizations, including the UN systems, towards the achievement of the SDG-3.
Mr Kayi said corporate donations, special initiatives and crowd funding mobilisation with code number (3322) had yielded some positive results although more needed to be done to achieve the 100 incubator target before 2019.
He said the concentration on newborn and preterm stemmed from the fact that every live mattered in the socio-economic advancement of the country.
“We have so far achieved 20 per cent of our goal and are determined to pursue the remaining 80 percent to fruition by your continued support…in the next five months, we hope to meet 50 per cent of our goal of drastically reducing preterm deaths,” he said.
Dr Richard Anthony, the Medical Director in-charge of the Hospital expressed gratitude for the gesture, which, he said, could save lots of preterm lives and bring happiness to mothers and families.
He said as a referral hospital such essential equipment were cardinal in quality healthcare delivery and called on corporate organisations to go to their aid.
Dr Anthony said the NICU also needed a neonatal jaundice phototherapy machine to deal with early childhood jaundice.